POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : double/single precision : Re: double/single precision Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: double/single precision
From: Daniel Jungmann
Date: 19 Jan 2001 12:58:53
Message: <3a68805d$1@news.povray.org>
>   Also, with current FPU's, using double precision numbers is as fast as
> using single precision, so the extra accuracy is got for free.

But single precision could be optimized. 3D!Now & SSE use single precision
and PovRay can't use this, because of double precision. I am optimizing
PovRay for SSE2 ( uses double precision ), but not everybody have a Pentium
4 but I am looking for the possibility to make PovRay faster and it would be
easier to use 3D!Now & SSE to do that.